Hark! Ten Thousand Voices Crying
THE ORIGINAL FORM OF THE WELL-KNOWN HYMN
"HARK! TEN THOUSAND VOICES CRYING"
- O the joy of the salvation
We possess around the throne,
Countless thoughts of admiration
Mingling leave that joy but one.
- Hark! ten thousand voices crying,
"Lamb of God!" with one accord;
Thousand thousand saints replying,
Bursts at once the echoing chord.
- Long with free and glad devotion
Universal praise prevails,
Till, blest fruit of deep emotion,
Voice by voice in silence fails.
- Now, in wondrous adoration,
Dwelling on His matchless love,
Sway'd with power of that salvation,
Silence fills the courts above.
- Then their richest thoughts unfolding,
Each to each with joy divine,
Heavenly converse blissful holding,
Tells how bright His glories shine.
- Some on God's high glories dwelling,
Brightly beaming in His face;
Some His First-born greatness telling,
Ordering all things in their place.
- These of Godhead's counsels deep
Him th' Accomplisher proclaim;
These how Jesu's self could weep,
Of Godhead's love the Witness came.
- All on love surpassing rest,
That clothed in flesh the great I AM:
Till from a heart divinely prest
Bursts forth at length the loud exclaim,
- "Praise the Lamb!"--at once awaking
The gather'd hosts, their voices throng;
Loud and wide each tongue partaking,
Rolls renew'd the endless song.
- Grateful incense this, ascending
Rises to the Father's throne;
Every knee to Christ is bending,
All the mind in heaven is one.
- All the Father's counsels claiming
Equal honours to the Son,
All the Son's effulgence beaming
Glory of His Father's throne.
- By the Spirit all pervading
Radiant hosts unnumber'd round,
Breathing glory never fading,
Echo back the blissful sound.
- Joyful now the wide creation
Rests in undisturb'd repose ;
Blest in Jesu's full salvation,
Sorrow now nor thraldom knows.
- Rich the streams of bounty flowing,
Common blessings from above,
Life and holy joy bestowing,
Tell of God's unwearied love.
- Hark the heavenly notes again
Loudly swells the air-borne praise ;
Throughout creation's vault, "Amen,
"Amen!" responsive joy doth raise.